Monday, September 29, 2014

Epilog



Map and Pics:  Click Here for Map and Pics.
3872 Miles, 120305 feet of climb , Days 1-52,
CA, NV, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, VT, NH and ME

Epilog.  Closing Thoughts
 
Now back into the everyday schedule of work at work and work at home, I now can take time to look back and reflect on how my summer's adventure became more like school
The best of the best at the Indiana Ohio border
than a vacation. Each section of the trip took on a different subject. In California, it was Paul who reminded me of the disciplined way of life. In western Nevada it was Heidi and Steve who showed us all what true courage was. In eastern Nevada and western Utah it was Canada Dave who lifted my spirits with his natural buoyancy in spirit and taught me how to enjoy life regardless of the desert surrounding me. Al was big. He got me through the Rockies, even pulled me up and over Continental Divide with his wit and ‘never quit’ attitude. As we went through the Blue Mesa crisis it was Eddie who showed everybody what compassion and Christian living looked like in the flesh. In the desolate lands of eastern Colorado and west Kansas it was an Energizer Bunny named Peter who showed me it was okay to march to a different drummer and seek out the unique in the vast unchanging plains. Jeb showed me in central Kansas the importance of knowing where I came from and never hide from it. Frans, my hero, saved me from quitting the trip in east Kansas. He was an encourager from the start, but when I needed to learn to ride my bike in a way to save my knees, he came along beside of me and told me how. His advice changed the rest of the trip for me, and I am most grateful. In Missouri it was Bob. He had been dinged in Saint Joseph, and his quiet spirit and determination to overcome injury was exactly what I needed when I needed it. Ted and Norm were the two that showed us all what true friendship was, and it was in full force from corn fields to bean fields and back as we crossed the fields of Illinois and Indiana. My family made east Illinois and Indiana a place of oasis and refreshment. With their words of encouragement I was able to step out of my new world of wake-ride-shower-sleep-repeat. Dan was my hero in Ohio. He was in it for the cause and never lost focus of why he was in the saddle. In Pennsylvania it was the singing Dutchmen that allowed me to reintroduce myself to the joy of music again. In west New
A man couldn't ask for a better
buddy than Al.
York (and all points east from there) Steve, the detective, was the guy that gave me a healthy perspective on life and the value of a winning smile. In eastern New York it was Claire, the champion of the underdog, who befriended me at meals and encouraged me not only to finish, but to finish well. In Vermont, Norm reminded me of the delight of discovery as we took time to visit Hemming’s Motor News in Bennington. Chuck (one of the best coaches I have ever met) welcomed me back into the pack for the dash to the sea in New Hampshire. In Rye, NH Michelle came alive, whooping and hollering. The immense burden on her back was lifting and she could finally let her emotions rip. It was so good to see that. All along the way we were helped and encouraged by our other staff members too, Jane, Gene, Jim, and Mark. And then there was my Bill, my roommate for over two months. The difference between a good trip and a bad trip sometimes hinges on who you share a room with. Bill made it a great trip. All these people were part of the mosaic of goodness that I set out to discover in the great land.


This trip was the best 52 day investment in my whole life. I grew in so many ways. I also shrunk in many ways too. I set out to find goodness in America, and not only did I find it, but it also found me. Hallelujah!


No comments:

Post a Comment