Monday, May 26, 2014

The Bike

Map and Pics:  Click Here for Map and Pics.
Map Link Powered by

50 Pounds Ago...

 - Last November - My wife and I decided that yes - it is time to start working on the old 'Bucket List'. On the top of my list was to ride my bike from ocean to ocean, and Young encouraged me to take on that challenge!  We found an excellent used bike, a Scott CR1, and Young bought it for me for my birthday.

To the left is the 8x10" glossy the company markets. As is, the bike weighs a whopping 14 pounds. Earlier this month at the Ardmore, AL McDonald's (I do frequent quality control checks on their ice cream cones) a 3 year old was fascinated with the bike, along with an older brother and sister. I told the little boy to pick it up (it was taller than him) and he could! I wouldn't let his siblings try, and they reported back to their mother that there little brother was SuperBaby!

On a recent training ride from UA-Birmingham to UA-Huntsville (111 miles) I stopped by the Swann covered bridge near Cleveland, AL. Some obvious additions to the bike are:

1. Mud (it rained that morning)
2. Water bottles
3. Stem Post luggage carrier
4. My 'Life South' bag for rain gear and tools
5. Bungie Cord (my bike shops teases me about this)
6. New pedals. My weight asks a lot of pedals.

Some obvious things not on the bike:
1. A kickstand.  This is most annoying.
2. A lock. This puppy ain't leaving my sight. I bring it into McD's with me.
3. An Engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment